Today is the day we send off our son Amir for PLKN (Program Latihan Khidmat Negara), The Malaysian National Service Training Programme, in the sixth year. He is among the first batch intake for 2009 program. It is for the duration of 3 months, right until March 2009 (just before SPM result to be announced). There are 25 full loaded buses taking off from Selayang Municipal Stadium's parking lots to various PLKN centers within Selangor and Perak. Total of about 1,000 trainees from this pickup point alone with about 5,000 family members and friends sending them off, giving a carnival like atmosphere around. A sense of proud, sad & curious can be seen on their faces. A total of 100 pickup points listed for this intake.
My son headed for Kg Baharu Ayer Tawar, Perak. With him is a friend Lukman from SAMT-KKB (his school before MRSM-KP). About 140,000 youngsters for PLKN were picked on an ad-hoc basis from 500,000++ SPM students (17 years old) throughout the country, in batches distributed to 81 PLKN centers all over Malaysia. For the first batch, 37,000 trainees left for their respective camps in stages from 106 departure points.
Objectives of the PLKN
- Develop a young generation who are patriotic and with love for their country
- Enhance unity among the multi-racial communities in the country
- Instill a spirit of caring and volunteerism among society
- Produce an active, intelligent and confident generation
- Develop positive characteristics among the younger generation through good values
- Develop a generation that will always obey the current government
My hope for Amir to get the most out of this program. To learn all the good values. All the best my son !!!