Through its unique educational model of integration and Islamization of knowledge, IIUM unifies reason with revelation, science with religion and ethics with professional courses. Undoubtedly this is one place where great leaders of the future are being trained and nurtured to hone their potentials. It tempers the spirit of optimism with moderation.
Its establishment in 1983 was a fulfillment of one of the major aspirations of the contemporary global Muslim community to regain the leadership of the Ummah in the quest for knowledge as encapsulated in its vision statement:
"To be an international centre of educational excellence which integrates Islamic revealed knowledge and values in all disciplines and which aspires to the restoration of the Ummah's leading role in all branches of knowledge."
Mission and Vision
Towards actualising the University's vision, IIUM endeavours :
- To undertake the special and greatly needed task of reforming the contemporary Muslim mentality and integrating Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences in a positive manner.
- To produce better quality intellectuals, professionals and scholars by integrating the qualities of faith ( iman ), knowledge ( `ilm ), and good character ( akhlaq ) to serve as agents of comprehensive and balanced progress as well as sustainable development in Malaysia and in the Muslim world.
- To foster the Islamization of the ethics of Muslim academic and administrative staff of IIUM, and certain aspects of human knowledge - particularly in the social sciences and humanities - with the view t o making them more useful and more relevant to the Muslim Ummah.
- To nurture the quality of holistic excellence which is imbued with Islamic moral-spiritual values, in the process of learning, teaching, research, consultancy, publication, administration and student life.
- To exemplify an international community of dedicated intellectuals, scholars, professionals, officers and workers who are motivated by the Islamic world-view and code of ethics as an integral part of their work culture.
- To enhance intercultural understanding and foster civilization dialogues in Malaysia as well as across communities and nations.
- To develop an environment which instils commitment for life-long learning and a deep sense of social responsibility among staff and students.
The summary of the Mission should read as follows:
- Internationalization; and
- Comprehensive Excellence
"INSPIRED BY THE WORLD-VIEW OF TAWHID AND THE ISLAMIC PHILOSOPHY OF THE UNITY OF KNOWLEDGE AS WELL AS ITS CONCEPT OF HOLISTIC EDUCATION"
IIUM aims at becoming a leading international centre of educational excellence which:
- Revitalizes the intellectual dynamism of Islam and the Muslim Ummah;
- Integrates Islamic revealed knowledge and values in all academic disciplines and educational activities;
- Seeks to restore a leading and progressive role of the Muslim Ummah in all b ranches of knowledge; thereby,
- Contributing to the improvement and upgrading of the qualities of human life and civilization.
The philosophy of the University was inspired by the recommendations of the first World Conference on Muslim Education held in Mecca in A.H. 1398/ A.D 1977. The spirit of this philosophy is based on the Holy Qur'an, in particular the five verses revealed to the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W., namely Al-Alaq, verses 1-5 :
- Read! In the name of the thy Lord and Cherisher, Who created
- Created man, out of a leech-like clot :
- Read! And thy Lord is Most Bountiful
- He Who taught (the use of) the Pen
- Taught man that which he knew not
According to this philosophy, knowledge shall be propagated in the spirit of Tawhid, leading towards the recognition of Allah as the Absolute Creator and Master of mankind.
The spirit behind this recognition of Allah as the Lord of the World (Rabbal-Alamin) represents the apex in the hierarchy of knowledge. Thus, all disciplines of knowledge should lead towards subservience of this truth.
This is because knowledge is a form of trust (amanah) from Allah to man, and hence man should utilize knowledge according to Allah's will in performing his role as the servant and vicegerent (khalifah) of Allah on earth.
In this way, the seeking of knowledge is regarded as an act of worship.
Menuntut ilmu itu adalah ibadah.
Anakku Amir, hayati lah falsafah dan semangat yang ada dari institusi ulung ini. Berjuanglah dengan ruh dan sikap yang jitu untuk mengangkat diri dalam kelompok pejuang Islam yang hebat. Hebat dalam akademik dan siasah, berjatidiri dan kukuh aqidah, mampu berdiri sama tinggi dengan golongan professional, dan punyai ilmu agama untuk mencegah kemungkaran dan mengajak pada kebenaran.
Pilihlah idola dari tokoh berwibawa yang banyak sumbangan nya pada masyarakat dan umat keseluruhannya. Misalnya:
- Abdul Rahman Bin 'Auf sahabat Rasulullah SAW, adalah contoh orang kaya yang semakin tawaduk kepada Allah dan merendah diri apabila dikurniakan kekayaan. Orang kaya berpendirian mulia yang berjihad di jalan Allah.
- TAN Sri Syed Mokhtar al-Bukhary adalah usahawan yang banyak menderma dan banyak melakukan kerja-kerja amal. Kekayaannya RM1,425 juta,Ke 7 terkaya di Malaysia dan ke 32 terkaya di Asia Tenggara.
- Ir Nizar Jamaluddin seorang jurutera professional yang juga seorang pemimpin dan pendakwah yang boleh bertutur 4 bahas di kagumi kawan dan lawan.
Semoga fasa 5 tahun yang bermula hari ini akan diiringi dengan keberkatan dan restu Illahi. Kami doakan yang terbaik buat mu anakku.