I came across this book in the public library the other day. The book entitled Encyclopedia of Gods by Michael Jordan first published in Great Britain by Kyle Cathie Limited and reprinted in 2005.
Over 2,500 deities of the world listed out in encyclopedia way through out the book.
In the introduction I quote, "In compiling book like Encylopedia of Gods, one is struck both by the enormous number and variety of deities that occur in different religions around the world, and also by the patterns repeat themselves - almost every culture has its creator gods, goddesses of fertility, gods whose duty it is to protect the home. The same mysteries have puzzled people in every continent, the same fears have beset them and they have all attempted to explain the mysteries and allay the fears in the same way - through the worship of gods."
A chronology of the principal religions and cultures covered in this book includes:
- Sumerian (3000BC - 1800BC)
- Akkadian-Babylonian (2000BC - 0)
- Hittite-Hurrian (2000BC - 1000BC)
- Egyptian (3000BC - 500AD)
- Greek (3000BC - 500AD)
- Roman (500Bc - 500AD)
- Judaism (1000BC - 2000+AD)
- Christian (0 - 2000+AD)
- Islamic (600AD - 2000+AD)
- Hindu (1800BC - 2000+AD)
- Buddhist (500BC - 2000+AD)
- Inca (100AD - 1500AD)
- Mayan (100BC - 1000AD)
- Aztec (200AD - 1500AD)
- Celtic (500BC - 500AD)
- Nordic-Icelandic (100AD - 1300AD)
As I browsing through the list of the god names and their little description printed in the book, I picked a few just to get the feel of it.
- ADAD - Origin Mesapotamian (Babylonian-Akkadian). Weather god.
- AHURA MAZDA - Origin Persian (Iran). God of light.
- ALLAH - Origin Nabataen and Arabic. The creator god of Islam.
- AMATERASU-O-MI-KASI - Origin Shinto (Japan). Sun goddess.
- AME-NO-MINAKA-NUSHI-NO-KAMI - Origin Shinto (Japan). Supreme god.
- APOLLO - Origin Greek. God of hunting and healing.
- BRAHMA - Origin Hindu (India). Creator god.
- BUDDHA - Origin Buddhist (India). The founder of Buddhism.
- GANESA - Origin Hindu (India). God of wisdom and prudence.
- PAK TAI - Origin Taoist (Chinese). Astral god of war.
And you will find what you looking for. The straight path with the clear answer, In Shaa Allah.
The following site is a good start.